Thursday, July 3, 2008

Bento! Bento!



My town has the best school lunch in all of Hokkaido. However, it's all meat and animal-y, so I bring my own lunch. Almost every day, for the first month I did this, my coworkers would always make some comment expressing their shock that I was able to make my own lunch.

Well, now the magic has worn off, but I have to say - I'm getting better at packing lunches. I have had a lot of trouble with leaky bento boxes. I have books that have suspicious soup stains on them as a result of sharing my backback with deviant chilies and stews. I finally invested in a better bento, one that actually seals well...
This is a pretty standard example of my lunch. From front to back, I have: rice (I'm trying to use up my white rice and switch to brown), rasins and walnuts (cause I need me my sweets) and Chickpea and Spinach Curry (from The Asian Vegan Kitchen). I am going to be really full for my fifth period class today - but not as full as I would be if I was eating school lunch. It's always at least 900 calories! I made the curry last night before going out to Karaoke to celebrate Lauren's sister being in town and only got to take a bite - but it was delicious. Most definately the best curry I've ever made!

1 comment:

MC said...

A few things:

1| I'm delighted this blog is happening

2| I have been on the hunt for a great lunchbox for weeks now, and have come up with nothing.

3| Packing your lunch every morning is charming

4| Will Foodening offer recipes to its readers?

5| I'm delighted this blog is happening